How to Mow Your Lawn the Climate-Friendly Way
Most people with homes have lawns that need to be taken care of. And most of us believe that a well-manicured lawn is an essential part of the dream of home ownership. The problem is that all this grass is bad for the environment. Grass for lawns is very thirsty and takes a lot of water. Plus, lawns can trap heat, causing nitrous oxide emissions.
However, there are ways to make your lawn more environmentally friendly and it all starts with how you mow it.
- Avoid Gas-Powered Mowers – Don’t add to
environmental problems by using gas-powered mowers. It might seem as if
the mower uses very little gas, but it’s enough to directly affect the
environment. It can be amazing the difference each person can make by
choosing to use non-gas powered equipment to work on their lawn.
- Use a Manual Push Mower - The very best way to mow
your lawn is to use a manual push mower. The reason is that just one
hour of using a gas-powered mower is like going on a 100-mile trip in
terms of emissions. The main reason is that gas mowers aren’t regulated
in the same way as automobiles.
- Mow High – Instead of mowing the lawn low, you can
save your grass by mowing it high. You want the grass to be at least
three inches high, if not four inches. Never mow more than 1/3 of an
inch off your grass at a time. This forces you to mow regularly, which
will help add more nutrients and carbon to your soil. Plus, taller grass
has less thirsty roots.
- Aerate Your Yard – A great way to promote good
grass health, and to avoid having to use too much water, is to aerate
your yard. You can do that with a few different types of tools. You can
use a plug aerator or a spike aerator. How often you do this depends on
your soil type, but usually once or twice a year is enough.
- Use Non-Synthetic Products - Whatever products you
choose to use on yard, always choose natural, non-synthetic, non-fuel
based and all-natural products that help the environment rather than
mess it up and pollute it. If you don’t want it in your drinking water,
don’t use it.
- Plant Native Trees and Shrubs - When you decide on
landscaping, you want to try to avoid using lawn grass as much as
possible. Consider planting native trees and shrubs to help the climate
in your area and replace some of the grass.
- Leave Clippings - When you mow the lawn, if you
ensure that you only mow a small amount off at a time you can just leave
the clippings. They will add nutrients to the soil and help the grass
- Rake Leaves Don’t Blow Them - When you have leaves
in your yard, instead of blowing them take the time to rake them. Then
you can collect them and use them in your compost pile. Plus, using a
gas-powered blower is just as bad as using a gas-powered lawn mower.
- Avoid Overwatering – One problem with lawns is how
much water they use. But, you can still have a healthy lawn without
overwatering. In fact, there are some studies that show overwatering,
while it may make grass greener, causes more nitrous oxide emissions.
Instead of daily watering, add one inch of water each week during cooler
times in the day.
- Use the Right Grass - The best yard covering is
honestly anything that is native to your area. Find native coverings
that use less water and require less care for the best results.
Using these methods will make your lawn a lot healthier and help cut
down on the environmental effects of having a grass lawn. Another thing
you can do is replace some of your grass with other plants
strategically, to cut down on how much lawn you have but keep up the
appearance of having a beautifully manicured lawn.
Gardening Tools for the Climate-Friendly Gardener
Home gardeners are on the first line of defense to shield against environment adjustment. They see the results of bad gardening practices right in their own backyard with bad dirt, disintegration due to harsher weather condition, and also less pollinators due to falling short to plant natively. Yet, it's not too late; as a climate-friendly gardener you can improve your very own little piece of paradise.
Individuals Power-- Try to make use of tools that don't make use of gas or electrical power when you can. Hand tools and your very own bare hands are much better for the atmosphere and also your garden than gas-powered devices that add carbon dioxide to the setting.
Rich Soil-- Your most important component for horticulture is making use of the best soil for the plants that you want to expand. Do not utilize synthetic ingredients in your soil. Plants take CO2 from the air and also turn it into starches as well as sugar. This incorporates with various other kinds of carbon which then turns into a plant that individuals and animals eat.
Composting Devices - The one point you truly wish to do to exercise climate-friendly gardening is to compost. To accomplish this, you merely require an aerator, air, water, the sun, and also organic product. You might need a hand farmer or fork, a screener, and something to collect cooking area waste in to help.
Hyperlinks to items:
Hand grower - https://www.amazon.com/Exaco-ECO-Spyro-Compost-Mixing/dp/B00385WV1A
Cooking area waste collector - https://www.amazon.com/Full-Circle-Compostable-Compost-Collector/dp/B00JTEVMSM
Electric Lawn mower-- A gas-powered lawn mower places way too much co2 right into the air and ought to not be used by the climate-friendly gardener. Therefore, search for electric lawn mowers since they are healthier for the environment.
Link - https://www.amazon.com/Joe-MJ401E-14-Inch-Electric-Mower/dp/B0029TLUOA
Push Mower - If you truly wish to impact the setting favorably, a manual push mower will function best. It's good for the grass too since it suffices in a different way than other kinds of mowers, with less damage.
Web link - https://www.amazon.com/American-Lawn-Mower-Inch-1204-14/dp/B00004RA3F
Organic Plant Food - Try to stay clear of artificial fertilizer and use only organic fertilizers that aren't sustain based. They must have the ideal substances for your requirements based upon the tests you carry out on your planting locations. You can use manure from cows and from poultries.
Chickens-- Poultries are great for horticulture as their manure is a great resource of nitrogen for your compost pile. They also work excellent as they can clear up to 50 square feet of land per poultry within 6 weeks.
Plant Cover Crops-- Additionally, never ever leave your garden dirt empty. Constantly replace crops with a plant cover of some kind to maintain the dirt healthy and balanced as well as manage erosion, weeds, and also conditions. Plant grains, turfs, and vegetables make good cover crops.
Trees and also Hedges - Control water overflow, plant damages, disintegration, as well as also cool off a location in your lawn with the best trees as well as shrubs. Search for indigenous plants for the best results that many fit your requirements.
Using these devices and also your own bare hands, you can create a rewarding yard that offers you all the food you as well as your family members requirement, while improving the setting as opposed to destroying it. In fact, if everyone used these exact same tools and practices in their horticulture as well as lawn treatment, we might assist decrease climate change damage.
Seven Ways to Attract Wildlife into Your Garden
In a climate-friendly yard, you plant tactically to attract all-natural predators to take care of the parasites you don't want in your yard. Right here are some methods you can pursue attracting killers to assist look after your garden naturally. Doing this means you do not require to use chemical pesticides or unnatural techniques to maintain a healthy and balanced garden.
- Plant Trees, Hedges and also Bushes-- Growing a range of trees and also bushes in many different sizes and kinds will supply food for birds, , and also various other wildlife that are advantageous for your yard. Supplying nesting sites for many different kinds of pets is good for the ecology of your garden.
- Maintain the Deadwood-- Dying trees or parts of a dying tree have a big usage to garden enthusiasts. They are environments for organisms that maintain your garden ecosystem healthy. Fungi, mosses, and bugs will bring in birds to them that will eat them. They are likewise environments for snakes and various other pets, so locate them tactically. Do not worry; garden serpents are great since they consume rats and also small mammals that will consume the food from your yard.
- Produce Water Attributes-- Producing water features can additionally bring wildlife to your yard, such as frogs. Make certain that your water attributes are water catchment systems. Save rain water by buying containers to capture the water. You can also save your grey water from your washing machine or shower if you make sure that you use the right types of soaps and also detergents that are secure.
- Maintain Some Lawn Long-- Plant much longer yards in some locations of your lawn. It supplies cover for tiny pets, reptiles, as well as caterpillars. If you leave some of your turf uncut throughout the year, alternating the locations every number of years to prevent the yard from coming to be too coarse, you'll produce a lot of places for these pets to be where they help not damage your garden.
- Plant Range-- It is very important to plant a variety of various types of plants that are belonging to your location, and also the appropriate plants for the climate of your location. You can typically uncover lots of ranges at in your area owned yard centers rather than chain garden facilities. Doing so will certainly aid reduce insects.
- Motivate Wildflowers - Don't instantly remove all wildflowers as "weeds". A few of them are lovely and also they can be really important to improve the ecology of your garden. They likewise offer food for insects and butterflies which can motivate pollination of your plants yet less eating of your plants. Nettles are particularly useful for supplying a reproducing area for butterflies.
- Put Up Bird Houses and also Nesting Boxes-- If you would certainly like more birds in your yard, you can install nesting boxes on wall surfaces, in fences and also in trees encountering the right way to provide shelter for birds. Put them up at the very least six to 7 feet off the ground to maintain them shielded. Make certain to clean these boxes yearly when the birds have actually left packages to cut down on parasites.
The beautiful aspect of climate-friendly gardening practices is that they naturally draw in simply the ideal wildlife to your garden, helping you shield versus condition as well as parasites naturally without chemicals and fuel-based chemicals.